Thursday 22 September 2011

Date 9 Mark: Bowling and Politics




Who set me up this time
Kareena
I met Kareena in Brighton while I was studying at the University of Sussex. She was studying Economic Development at the institute of development studies. She now lives in Ghana working on projects to help improve education and internal trade in Ghana. Despite being abroad she managed to set me up with one of her friends from school.

What do I know about him
In Kareena’s own words, Mark is not suitable for me. She warned me that I might prefer someone who didnt smoke so much, drink so much etc. I told her that it doesn’t matter as long as he is game. The dating marathon is about variety. Plus it should be up to me to decide who I like. Having said that I was a little worried! Mark is working in a starter position for a big manufacturer. He has a degree in business.
First impressions
Mark seemed pretty nice. He gave me a little hug to say hello. He didn’t really give me much eye contact. I thought that that was a bit off. It made me feel self conscious like there might be some food on my face or perhaps I was just looking hideous. But Mark might have just been shy or distracted.

 What happened
 
Mark took me bowling. This was a bit different for me and I thought it was a great idea. Conversation in the bowling alley was normal small talk. It was pleasant. Sadly, I am terrible at bowling! I prefer it when you have the sides up and then you can bounce the ball off the edges. On a first date I was too embarrassed to make this suggestion. I must have lost a few balls but didn’t do too badly. Just as well really because I found myself desperately trying to compete with my date. But he still thrashed me.
Next we went to a Chinese buffet. I was still eager to beat Mark somehow so I got competitive about how well we could use chopsticks. I think that I won.
Over dinner I started to realise why Kareena did not think that Mark was suitable for me. He is incredibly cynical! Unfortunately Mark comes across like he’s one of those people who focuses a little too much on the negative side of life. He talked about the recession, corruption in Western society, racial political inequality and trade monopolies. It annoys me a little when people talk about corruption in wealthy countries such as Britain, Germany, America etc as if these are the only countries that have crooked governments. This division is just a bit simplistic. I told Mark this and then tried to change the subject but conversation got back on depressing political philosophy straight away.
 It is really important to question society and have strong ethical views. But I still think that Mark’s choice of topics was dark for a first date. As I sat there humming Bobby McFerrin in my head, I tried to end Mark's rant.
We started to talk about work. Oops I currently work for a trade leading retailer. Obviously Mark did not approve. At this moment I had to ask a pressing question, ‘Mark do you ever do cocaine?’ I have permission to publish his answer but I won't. All I will say is that, as with most illegal drugs, I highly doubt that any cocaine in the UK is guaranteed fair trade. Surely the cocaine trade is one of the most brutal industries on the planet? If you do cocaine then please do not lecture me on trade ethics. You sold yourself out on that one for a self-indulgent buzz. I offered this opinion to Mark. Next question "what make are your trainers?" The answer was Converse and Nike. At least at this point Mark was able to admit that he doesn’t practise what he preaches about trade and consumerism.
I guess we are hypocrites on one level or another. I agree with Mark that we should question the ethics of trade and bear in mind that some manufacturers and retailers exploit people and dominate markets. But then I don’t always live perfectly to these standards. I own the odd primark and H&M item! Perhaps I could do more on this subject but I really didn't appreciate the lecture on a first date!
Mark also made a few cynical comments about minority reservations in certain industries. Boo! Shut up!
I’m going to be brutally honest here. The impression I got is that Mark is an intelligent person who is slightly frustrated that although he has had the best starts in life (private schooling, first flat bought for him etc), he still doesn’t know what he wants to do with his life. I think this might be why Mark lashes out at society so much. In his words, ‘It’s easy to be cynical about society when you're in the middle of a recession and you haven’t got a clue how to make a living". 
I much preferred the bowling part of the evening and the lighter parts of conversation we had over chinese food. I do genuinely like Mark but I am definitely looking for someone who comes across as more fun loving. I love the deep reflective side to Mark’s nature but I really think that this should be balanced out by some activism (to practise what you preach) and more focus on the great side of life! Both Mark and I agreed that our date was a fun experiment that we both reflected on, but we are not compatible.
Would I go out with him again?
Nope. We clashed.
What do other people say?
Sounds like we would have a few interesting debates but overall I suit someone who is more positive about life.
Would I recommend him to a friend?
Maybe! If he lightened up a little.

Date Planning 8
Rapport 4
Sweetness 5

2 comments:

  1. Mark here! This was not the greatest date on both our parts. But H is right about one thing. I was off on a rant. There is a recession and there is so much wrong with this country. But yes we are also very privilged too! I see how ranting about this on a first date was a huge and perhaps comical mistake to make especially when you are being blogged about! I am not always a cynical guy though! And yes do recommend me to one of your friends please ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Mark, between my bowling and your rant it was not the perfect date! I still had fun though and thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete