Sunday 4 September 2011

Date number 3: Alan – the softy with the green eyes



Who set me up this time
Anna – I met Anna in Brighton. When I first met Anna I thought she was a little aloof. I was under the impression that she did not like me and apparently she had the same impression of me. But as soon as the ice was broken, I realised she is a witty feisty person who is just sometimes a bit rubbish at small talk. And she is kind and great fun.

What do I know about him
Alan is a dare devil who loves to travel. He has dark hair and green eyes. He is a ‘nice guy’ described to me as a romantic softy. As always, I expect my friend has picked out someone lovely for me to blind date.

First impressions
Alan is one of the more shy people I’ve met on my blind dating marathon. There was an awkward hello which was just as much my fault as it was his. I sadly get a little Bridget Jones about hellos and I love it when someone else takes the lead and initiates the smooth hug, cheek kiss bit. Alan did not do this. He is a really cute looking man. Nice eyes! He came across as softly spoken with a gentle temperament.
What happened
I looked forward to this date but I was not nervous. I think I’m comfortable with dates now. Hoorah! Only the third date and my dating marathon has already provided me with a personal achievement. I wore an orange dress with yellow flowers. It was a bit of a hippy girl outfit and I thought it might suit the soft gentle character I was about to meet.
Alan took me out for deli board and fine wine. I threw a spanner in a works though as I detest wine. I’m sorry Alan! As you can imagine, I was mortified about having to tell him this but I don't think i would have managed to fake it. As Alan is a good humoured man he did not seem to mind. Luckily the venue had a selection of draught beers which I was more than happy with. I told Alan that he could still enjoy the wines and should not feel that he has to have beer. On the other hand I think it was a really sweet move that Alan chose to have the beer with me!
It was a really fun evening and there may have been some chemistry at the time. Despite Alan’s initial awkwardness which I perceived as shyness, he really put me at ease later in the evening. He is quite flirty too. He flirts in boy next door sort of way. He does not give the impression that he is a player. I actually like that about him.

Despite the good vibes that I got from Alan there were a number of things that made me think that we are incompatible. Number one, he told me he was on a diet and would not eat much. According to one friend, I am too picky to have even noticed something like this. I know we all have to watch what we eat to stay healthy. Still, I really don’t like it when I go out to dinner with someone who doesn’t want to eat much. A minor point.

Another thing that came out in conversation is that Alan knows nothing about the natural world and said he can not imagine how I survive in the sticks! First of all, I live in the suburbs not the sticks. Secondly, how could you not know the difference between a goose and a duck? I am an outdoorsy person in a lot of ways. I’m embarrassed to admit this because I know some people think it is geeky but I like hiking, I like nature and adventure tourism.

Alan is also very into fashion. This would make him the perfect man to a lot of women. I wish I was into fashion. Then maybe I’d dress a little better. I like trainers. And at home I even wear trackies. I think that Alan is perhaps a little to metrosexual for me? Not that I have an issue with metrosexuality. I just like a man to have some rough edges.
The evening ended in a really warm nice way. I initiated the good bye hug and he even did the text to check I got home alright. This was sweet as I have a long journey back to the suburbs (not the sticks).

Would I go out with him again?
We did meet up at a mutual friends' birthday. I think we are better suited as friends.

What other people have said
I am more suited to someone more assertive.

Would I recommend him to a friend?

Yes, if they suited each other! I wish I had more in common with Alan. He would be a great man to be with.
Date Planning 8
Rapport 6

1 comment: