Wednesday 21 September 2011

Date 8: Brett – Burger, fries and pop tarts

Who set me up this time
Carrie
Remember Carrie who set me up on date 4 – Christian the hot Trinidadian? Carrie is incredibly competitive and she was determined to find me a match for date 8.
What do I know about him
The last person who Carrie set me up with was too much of a player for me. We got on but our date went from romantic to platonic pretty fast. Carrie said she would try and find me someone soft and romantic instead. I warned her that I’ve already done that (date3) and it didn’t really work out but Carrie convinced me that Brett was different. Brett is American and works in Advertising and graphic design.

First impressions
I tried to view Brett on facebook but I had not managed it. I had no idea what he looked like other than the fact that he had dark hair. We were meeting at Kings Cross train station – London, which is one of the busiest stations in the world. It took me a while to register that it was Brett when I saw him. He was nothing like I had imagined. Carrie had given me this vague description: ‘American with dark hair.’ I would have described him more like this: ‘American, New York accent, big animated eyes, 5”10 and originally from South Asia’.  How could Carrie have missed out the fact that this guy was brown skinned? Was she worried that I would think that she is racist or something?
What Happened?
Brett and I had spoken earlier in the week over the phone. He had explained to me that as I am British and he is American, he thought that I would expect him to take me somewhere serving food from the US. I agreed. Big hearty portions and sugary snacks are great! I am not trying to say that that's what all American people eat but that is the stereotype we all know and love and that’s what I wanted! Brett took this comment on board. We got on the tube and he took me to an American Steakhouse/Burger Joint near the Strand.
I ordered a veggie burger and crinkle cut chips. I was tempted to order onion rings as well but I thought this might make my breath smell. I am highly unlikely to kiss anyone on my blind first date marathon blog (imagine if I got with all 20 guys) but still I do not want stinky breath!
Conversation centred on New York and how it differs from London. Brett said that if it wasn’t for his family then he wouldn’t be able to choose between London and New York. But because his family live in New Jersey and he misses being able to see them more regularly, he will probably end up in New York. He also pointed out that he would be paid more and get a lot more for his money in New York.
I have never been to New York and listening to Brett's description made me want to go more than ever! Brett came across as a family oriented person. This is cool. I am family oriented too and I generally find it easier to get along with people who share strong family values.
Brett explained that his heritage is ¾ Indian ¼ Irish American. He speaks broken Marathi/Hindi but as a third generation immigrant who is not religious he is more acculturated into Western society and he finds it easiest to identify himself as ‘Asian American’. That makes perfect sense to me.
Then conversation took an unexpected turn. I have Brett’s full permission to write about this. We were talking about opposites attracting and we ended up discussing the film ‘Along came Polly’. In the sex scene of this movie, to try and make the sex last a little longer the lead character starts to distract himself from the moment by counting in his head. In the final second he screams out ‘50’! See this video from 2.00 for full details. Haha. Brett chose this moment to admit something very weird and personal. He grinned and with a sincere yet bashful face he told me that instead of counting to fifty he just pretends he’s talking to a distant imaginary old aunt in Marathi. This is probably one of the strangest things that anyone has ever said to me on a date. I wonder if Brett was just teasing me! In his own odd words Brett said that as he never talks Marathi in a sexual way he associates it with celibacy. Therefore, speaking Marathi in his head when he is in bed with a woman helps distract himself from the sexual tension. Apparently this helps him make sex last! If Brett ever does online dating I hope he doesn’t include this in his profile. It is not a very good way to sell yourself! 
At the end of our deliciously unhealthy grub, Brett presented me with a wonderful gift. This gift showed that Brett is obviously a man who listens. In response to my declaration of love for junk food he had bought me a box of cinnamon pop tarts and a packet of twinkies from cyber candy! ‘Here’ he said. ‘I wanted to make sure you had an American breakfast’. Haha this was so random, so cheesy and yet so brilliant. Nice touch. They went down really well.
We said goodbye at the tube station.  Brett left it that he would not talk to me while I am doing the blind dating marathon. But if, when I’m finished, I am at all interested in meeting him, then I should give him a call. As I live far away and was travelling after dark, Brett text me to make sure I got home safe. That was nice. I went home thinking I had met someone interesting, kind, funny and with a good appetite. All of these are top qualities!
Would I go out with him again?
I don’t think that I will call Brett. But honestly, if these were normal dating circumstances and he asked me out again, then I would have said yes.
What do other people say
Considering the fact that he wants to live in New York and I would never permanently leave the UK, people have said that this match would not be long lived. Personally, I do not think that far ahead but I will still not be calling him.
 Would I recommend him to a friend?
Yes.

Date Planning 8.5
Rapport 7.5
Sweetness 7

 

1 comment: